LEDA KOURSOUMBA– NEÉ NICOLAIDES
- Law Commissioner of the Republic, since 1.11.2002.
- Commissioner for the Protection of Children’s Rights, since 29.8.2007.
- President of the National Institution for the Protection of Human Rights (2003-2008).
- Head of the Ad Hoc Technical Committee on the Laws within the framework of the Good Offices of the UN Secretary General for the Solution of the Cyprus Problem (2002-2004).
- Member of the Negotiating Team for the Accession of Cyprus to the European Union (1998-2004).
- Born in Nicosia. Studied law in England. Barrister at Law. Registered advocate in Cyprus.
- Specialized in the field of Constitutional Law, Administrative Law and Human Rights Law, in particular Children’s Rights Law.
- Represented Cyprus before international courts, organizations and Committees of the United Nations, (such as, the Committee Against Torture, the Committee of the CEDAW, the Committee of the Rights of the Child, the Human Rights Committee) and of the Council of Europe (such as the European Commission and the Court of Human Rights, the Committee of Experts on Administrative Law, the Committee of Experts on Legal Data Processing in Europe).
- Member of the European Group of Public Law.
- Participated in the drafting of the “Manual on the Basic Principles of Administrative Law”, edited by the Committee of Experts on Administrative Law of the Council of Europe.
- Co-author of the “Systematic Commentary of the Treaty of Accession of the Central and Eastern European Countries, Cyprus and Malta to the E.U.”, published by the University of Hagen (wrote the chapter on Cyprus).
- Deputy President of the Cyprus Red Cross Society.
- Honorary Member of the Board of the International Association for the Promotion of Women in Europe (AIPFE), Women of Europe Award – Cypriot Association.
- Member of the Business and Professional Women Association.
- Member of the Rotary Club, Nicosia – Lefkothea.
- President of the English School Parents Association (1987-1991).
- Member of the Board of Management of the English School (1991-1997).
- Founding Member and Secretary (1983-1992) of the Music and Fine Arts Fund.